What causes acne? If we had a simple answer, then acne would be like the measles – basically a thing of the past! But because acne is influenced by many factors, we don’t have one miracle shot or pill. In most cases, acne is best treated holistically: You need to take your whole mind and body experience into account. What does that mean? Read our tips for a great acne solution!
Following the steps below can add up to a “vaccine” against mild to moderate acne. For those with more serious acne, we have found AcneTreatment.net to be a good resource for the lowdown on everything from herbal supplements to topical skincare regimes and prescription acne medications.
Seven Simple Tips for Preventing Acne
- Drink water! Besides keeping your skin hydrated and preventing premature wrinkling, a regular flow of water helps to transport nutrients that build healthy skin cells. Water also helps clear your body of toxins that interfere with clear skin.
If you aren’t a big fan of drinking water, that’s OK. Tea and fruit juice (no corn syrup, please!) are some good substitutes. Just remember that some beverages are loaded with calories, tooth-harming sugars and artificial ingredients. Water is a non-caloric and safe solution. It’s also cheap!
- Exercise. Where clear skin is concerned, one benefit of exercise is cleaning your pores from the inside out. Think about it: When sweat streams through your pores, it clears out lots of gunk – kind of like rainwater rushing through a city pipeline.
To help keep your skin clear:
- Wash your face and body before you exercise. Apply a moisturizer to your face even though you’ll get sweaty soon. If you don’t moisturize, your skin might overcompensate and make more oils than you like.
- Wash your face and body after exercising. For the best results, use a cleanser, an astringent and a moisturizer along with a spot treatment if needed.
- Use mineral powder makeup. Most concealers and foundations are advertised as non-comedogenic, which means that they don’t clog pores. Somehow this seems misleading; physically, isn’t it almost impossible for creamy stuff placed on the skin to not sink in? Besides that, some makeup irritates skin because it contains low-quality ingredients such as mineral oil – which should not be confused with mineral makeup. Mineral oil is a byproduct of petroleum.
- One tip we love is to use 100% mineral makeup to help avoid acne. Mineral powder makeup can make any woman feel like an Earth goddess. If it’s truly pure, then it’s made only from actual minerals and will not irritate your skin. It smooths the appearance and feel of skin instantly. It covers redness and makes skin look naturally pretty. Meanwhile, zinc and other components rebuild the skin and naturally shield it from the sun. The minerals actually help improve skin’s overall quality.
- For the best results, apply mineral powder makeup to exfoliated and hydrated skin. Otherwise you might get dry patches. When you get it right, you’ll be able to “fix your face” with mineral powder makeup in about two minutes. Your new favorite beauty product, guaranteed!
- Relax your muscles. Take yoga seriously or at least stretch in your own way every morning and evening. Stretching your muscles promotes healthy circulation, which promotes healthy skin. Taking at least ten minutes to stretch every day can also help relieve mental tension. There’s no doubt that mental stress is manifested as acne!
- Keep the phone off your face. Even the best phone call can hurt your complexion. When you hold the phone against your face, you can’t help but rub your skin and introduce bacteria. The close quarters also create a miniature climate of condensation that doesn’t work well for skin. Besides all that, phones actually raise the temperature of your skin with their radiation. It’s a perfect, horrible acne storm. Use your speaker button or find another solution.
- Reduce stress in your life. Be honest with yourself. Are you trying to be a superman or superwoman? Are you taking on too many tasks for one person to reasonably accomplish? Or maybe you’re letting a not-so-nice person bring stress into your life? Identify the triggers for unhealthy forms of stress. Then take actions to disarm them! A clear mind leads to clear skin.
- Follow a skincare routine. Remember, “routine” means regular! Many people make the mistake of only focusing on skin when it’s acting up.
- Wash your face two or three times daily.
- Use a clean and slightly exfoliating washcloth.
- Use a cleanser that’s appropriate for your skin type: dry, combination, normal, oily and teenage or adult.
- For extra cleansing, use an astringent.
- Always finish with a moisturizer. Moisture makes a huge difference for anti-aging and if you choose the right moisturizer, it will fight acne instead of promoting it.
What are your favorite skincare tips that are 100% safe? We’d love to see your comments!